The heart of Frames is a 4-channel digitally controlled analog VCA. Through flexible input/output mixing and normalling options, it can be patched to serve the following purposes (among others):
- 4-channel attenuator/VCA.
- 4-channel mixer.
- 4-channel programmable CV source.
- Quadraphonic panner.
But what makes it truly unique is the way in which channel levels can be controlled, using a technique inspired by computer animation. Frames allows up to 64 configurations of the 4 level knobs to be stored and recalled throughout the course of its big "Frame" knob. By rotating the knob (or sending a CV to the Frame modulation input), the configurations are morphed into one another.
To fine-tune the animation and get varied morphing or sequencing results, the following options are available for each of the 4 channel:
- Easing curve (stepped, linear, exponential, logarithmic, sine, bouncy)
- Attenuation response of the level knob, from linear to logarithmic
With a bit of patching and imagination, Frames can also be repurposed as a 4-channel sequencer, a multi-stage envelope generator, a trajectory generator for quadraphonic panning...
NOTE: All Mutated modules are designed by Émilie Gillet, and are CC-BY-SA.
- Do NOT ask on the mutable forums or email Mutable Instruments for help. There is literally ZERO support offered from those channels - don't be an ass. A number of Facebook groups exist to help with DIY builds, and we're happy to help as well.
- Do NOT (re)sell these, passing them off as factory modules. Seriously - don't be an ass.
- Do NOT be totally scared of SMT. If you haven't done it before, it's off-putting, we get it - but give yourself a chance. Learn something. That's what (we think) DIY is all about. We're keeping the prices on these low enough that you can afford to try and fail!
- DO have a ton of fun building them, and use them to create awesome sounds. Then go buy a Mutable Instruments module and SUPPORT Olivier's designs, directly.
|Additional Resources||Mouser BOM|