SERGE TRIPLE + WAVESHAPER (TWS+) / NEW RING
The TRIPLE WAVESHAPER (TWS) is a non-linear modifier which can transform a sawtooth wave into a sine wave. This classic module incorporates three independent waveshapers for modifying synthesizer waveforms or for processing signals from preamplified instruments. Although originally designed as a waveshaper for early Serge oscillators, this module has been found to be a excellent modifier of electronic and acoustic sounds, and is highly recommended for subtle timbral modifications beyond the range of simple oscillator/filter patches.
The R*S version extends the classic TWS concept:
- +1: An additional (4th) waveshaper has been added after the first waveshaper that can be dialed in smoothly using the +1 knob. Turned down (CCW) the first stage acts as in the original. Turned up (CW) the first stage is actually 2 waveshapers in series.
- Switches to link the 3 sections. Using these switches all sections can be set to act in series, starting at the bottom and ending at the top, providing the combined effect of 3 to 4 waveshapers (or anything in between) using the +1 knob.
- Linking only the middle and top section and turning the +1 knob up (to have 2 sections in the bottom) allows you to use the module for isntance as two independent 2-stage waveshapers (using bottom in and out for one and middle in and top out for the other) - e.g. for stereo processing.
The Random*Source version is a licensed and authorized adaption of the original Serge design.
The 2017 RING is an improved version of the late Serge Ring Modulator (R9), designed by Serge himself for Random*Source in 2017, more than 40 years after the launch of the Serge Modular system. According to Serge, the RING is one of the most sophisticated modules in the Serge system. The new version has been developed by Serge for and in close cooperation with Random*Source.
Some details of the Random*Source TWS+RING module:
- TWS+: 3 to 4 stages
- TWS+: more CV control than ever
- RING: new 2017 design by Serge
- PCBs in SMT, manufactured in Germany
- 4x4 format (4U high - this is not Eurorack!)