Streams provides two channels of extremely flexible signal dynamics manipulation.
Each channel consists of an analog voltage-controlled filter and amplifier (VCFA). The response curve of the amplifier section is continuously variable from exponential to linear. The amplifier gain is directly controllable from a CV input, through an attenuverter. But what makes Streams truly unique is the multi-purpose EXCITE input. The signal routed to this input is analyzed by a micro-controller and converted into internal control signals for the VCFA, making Streams a very versatile module:
Envelope mode: the EXCITE input works as a trigger input, triggering an internal AD envelope routed to the gain and the filter cutoff (in variable amount). This makes it immediate to shape the output of a complex oscillator into notes.
Vactrol mode: the EXCITE input is processed by a digital model of a resistive opto-isolator (Vactrol), controlling the gain and the filter cutoff (in variable amount). The digital emulation allows the modification of properties of opto-isolators - such as response time - which are otherwise difficult to control.
Follower mode: the envelope and cutoff of the EXCITE signal is measured, and applied to the signal on the VCFA input.
Dynamics processor mode: the VCF is disabled, and the VCA is used to control the dynamics of the input signal. An intuitive control scheme allows the compressor to be used either for peak reduction/limiting operation; or for boosting signal levels with soft-limiting. The EXCITE input works as a sidechain.
Each channel input is normalled to +5V, allowing the module to be used for applications such as:
- CV exponentiation.
- Envelope generation.
- Signal slew-limiting with the vactrol model.
- Filter control and auto-wah.
In addition, Streams' LED display can be used as a bargraph to monitor signals on any of its inputs and outputs.
NOTE: All Mutated modules are designed by Olivier Gillet, and are CC-BY-SA.
- Do NOT ask on the mutable forums or email Mutable Instruments for help. There is literally ZERO support offered from those channels - don't be an ass. A number of Facebook groups exist to help with DIY builds, and we're happy to help as well.
- Do NOT (re)sell these, passing them off as factory modules. Seriously - don't be an ass.
- Do NOT be totally scared of SMT. If you haven't done it before, it's off-putting, we get it - but give yourself a chance. Learn something. That's what (we think) DIY is all about. We're keeping the prices on these low enough that you can afford to try and fail!
- DO have a ton of fun building them, and use them to create awesome sounds. Then go buy a Mutable Instruments module and SUPPORT Olivier's designs, directly.
Specs & Downloads
Specs & Downloads
|Additional Resources||Mouser BOM|